23 October 2012

Forty Days to November:
Day 27 - ...But as For Me




Patrick Henry
was a staunch
Anti-Federalist!
Patrick Henry (1736-1799) was one of the most passionate and firey advocates of the American Revolution.  Many have compared him to an Old Testament prophet in his powerful denunciations of corruption in government officials and his defense of the Colonists' rights.  Elected to the Virginia State Legislature in 1775, he rallied Virginia into military preparedness.

Rebellion against unjust taxes had begun, and the British had posted troops throughout the Coloniees and warships in the harbors.  On March 23, 1775, during the Second Virginia Conventions debates on whether to declare independence or negotiate with the British, Patrick Henry called upon his Countrymen to trust God:
Patrick Henry depicted in a
painting delivering his speech
"Sirs, we shall not fight our battles alone.  There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sirs is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
 
And his infamous, passionate conclusion:
"Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me give me liberty, or give me death!"
 

Patriot's Prayer: You are my anchor, heavenly Father. Sometimes I feel like I am on a tumultuous sea, being tossed to and fro and having no real sense of direction. But I know that You are there with me, You have me in your hand, and that You are guiding me safely to shore.  Thank you, Lord, that I can hope in You.

Patriot's Promise: "...Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which you fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." ~ Joshua 24:15 
 
 
 
 
NOTE: All source material(unless otherwise noted)from God's Promises for the American Patriot by Dr. Richard D Lee & Jack Countryman; In God We Still Trust by Dr. Richard D Lee; and The American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America(NKJV) by Richard G Lee (general editor).

Let Me Know What You Think!

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...