07 October 2009

This Isn't Shakespeare's play:
America Hath No Fury Like a Mother
Whose Childrens' Future Is Threatened

This isn't a play at all....
William Congreve, 1695



"Heav'n has no rage like love to hatred turn'd;Nor Hell a fury, like a woman  scorn'd."
~ William Congreve

This saying is from the closing line of Act III of William Congreve's (not Shakespeare!) tragedy The Mourning Bride, first produced in 1697.  When we take the first two lines together, I think we can related to how us Moms feel about the true America and its future is being snatched from our childrens' lives.

In just two weeks time a new online network called As A Mom has grown to almost 43,000 members. The group describes themselves as: "A Network of principled mothers, grandmothers, daughters, guardians of our nation's children dedicated to the 9 Principles and the 12 Values." Oh yeah. I'm already signed up.

There is another network inspired by As A Mom called M.O.M. for America: Washington, DC Rally - Saturday, August 14, 2010 Amazing!  What a wonderful effort by the founding members put together to make this happen.  I believe the group can only continue to grow in this current antagonistic political climate we live in. We are living in unprecedented and historical times.

As A Mom will appeal to so many of us moms, aunts, grandmothers, godmothers and all significant motherly figures in our kids lives who have been paying attention to what is happening to our beloved America.  It will appeal to those of us who have become political activists for the first time in our lives and who have always been involved in our kids lives in whatever way possible.  The bond between mother and child, the maternal bond between woman and child, is stronger than words can describe.  I think instinctively moms also know TRUTH when they see it, too, wouldn't you agree?

So that's why the quote from (really, it's NOT Shakespeare!) Playwright Congreve?  I can only speak for myself here: I LOVE my county, and I love Texas.  Even against my own advice to my sons to use the word "hate" as sparingly as possible, I do nearly hate my federal government.  While growing up, I was taught to respect it - respect is a form of love to an extent.  Now, I do not. 

(A.D.D. Moment: What I do truly HATE is paying  FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.  Our hard earned income is being stolen by the most corrupt of people to the most abhorrent of actions, including prostitution, human trafficking and abortion.  I have to give that to God, cause the HATE will make me ill! see my blog posts at  Where Have All The Dollars Gone?  and Community Organizing: To September 11th & Beyond!).

I believe that federal government threatens my sons' futures.¹ They are young teenagers, with their whole lives ahead of them.  How DARE these people work toward the ruin of this country.  How DARE they take away the country I grew up in and leave my sons with the remnants of what was, making Ronald Reagan's prophecy² come true? Whatever will I tell my grandchildren?  I certainly can tell my grandchildren that I fought hard, all the while being called crazy, racist, paranoid, over-reactive, right-wing extremist to name a few!



I started blogging for somewhat vague reasons. I had opinions about what was going on, but didn't have a whole lot of people to listen to me. I do not keep a journal - that's way to structural for an artsy type like me. Writing about myself seems too boring, really. And I'm not one to sit in my thoughts and feelings for long (read the personality profile for a "Leo" - fits me to a T!)

But I knew instinctively that we were living in "interesting times."  And I knew I wanted to somehow communicate with people, including my family members, who wouldn't necessarily listen.  The title of my blog came very naturally, however: "The Conservative Mom."  Though not a regular listener, I have always liked and used Dr. Laura Schlessinger's phrase about what her main job was, "I am my kids' Mom."  I have used that for as long as I have been a mom, choosing to raise my sons as my main job, for sixteen years this Sunday, to be precise.  And yes, I even write on forms asking for my occupation as "my kids mom".

I think that tens of thousands of moms feel similarly to me.  I bet this will change to hundreds of thousands. I thank God for the ladies that came together to form this group, the sub groups, the Washington DC group, and whatever else follows. I am excited to be able to be a part of it.

One last item: A not-so-famous quote by Congreve, from his play "The Way of the World", which premiered in the year 1700:
"Liberty is the soul's right to breathe, and when it cannot take a long breath laws are girded too tight. Without liberty, man is a syncope."

Can you relate, or what?
___________________________________________________
¹ Did this just start with me because of Obama, you ask? NO.  My political pivot point started specifically on February 5, 2007 when Hilary Clinton, whom I was considering as my candidate, stated that her policies regarding oil profits that "were the highest in the history of the world" and "I want to take those profits and I want to put them into a strategic energy fund...Taking profits is wealth redistribution, and that's UnAmerican.


² "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

Check out great political stickers at Secular Stupid

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Me Know What You Think!

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...