13 October 2012

Forty Days to November:
Day 17 - Protecting the Foundation




Jedidiah Morse (1761-1826) was a pioneer American educator, clergyman, geographer, and father of Samuel Morse, inventor of the telegraph and Morse Code.  Jedidiah studied for the ministry at Yale, and in 1789 accepted a call to the First Church of Charleston, Massachusetts.  He was alarmed by how far the clergy had moved from doctrinal orthodoxy.

Jedidiah Morse
In a 1799 sermon Morse said the following:

Our dangers are of two kinds, those which affect our religion, and those which affect our government. They are, however, so closely allied that they cannnot, with propriety, be separated. To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness mankind now enjoys.
 In proportion as the genuine effects of Christianity are diminished in any nation in the same proportion will the people of that nation recede from the blessings of genuine freedom.  It follows, that all efforts made to destroy the foundations of our holy religion, ultimately tend to the subversion also of our political freedom and happiness.  Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present form of republican government, and all the blessings which flow from them, must fall with them.
First Church
Charleston, Mass


NOTE: All source material(unless otherwise noted)from God's Promises for the American Patriot by Dr. Richard D Lee & Jack Countryman; In God We Still Trust by Dr. Richard D Lee; and The American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America(NKJV) by Richard G Lee (general editor).

Patiot's Prayer: Father, help me recognize that I have a duty to You, my God, and to my family, my community, and my country.  I pray that I courageously fulfill these duties and, as I do so, honor and glorify You.

Patriot's Promise: "If you will indeed obey My voice and keep My Covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people." ~Exodus 19:5

Let Me Know What You Think!

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...