10 September 2010

Is Art Still Art By Any Other Name?

How interesting that on the 9th anniversary of 9/11 we are in a national conversation regarding the actions of one Terry Jones' church and political Islam.

¶ Maybe Reverend Jones should have called the act of burning Korans ART.

"Piss Christ" by Andres Serranno
Crucifix in glass jar filled with urine.
"Holy Virgin Mary" by Chris Ofili
Elephant dung with flying
testicles and vaginas
see note below!!!
***

Priscilla Joyce Bracks by "Bearded Orientals:
Making the Empire Cross" gratuitously offensive
for obvious reasons



"The Ninth Hour" Maurizio Cattelan

Pope John Paul struck down by metorite
¶ These images are distatesful for a multitude of reasons.  "Piss Christ" is repulsive and requires no action other than to not look at it.  In "Holy Virgin Mary" it's not the flying reproductive parts that bother me - that's oddly humorous and I can appreciate why it's called art. What bothers me about it is who actually puts FECES on their canvas? Bearded orientals is just a stupid, juvenile piece by an artist who is controversial, but some of her other stuff is pretty good. And "The Ninth Hour"? A meteorite? Seriously?

But the underlying story, and the point to my post, is they blatant hypocrisy.  Americans are tired of it.  Christians are weary of the double standard.  Burning the Koran really isn't the responsible thing do to.  Rev. Jones has the right to do it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

The right thing to do is to not favor any religion over another, especially one that is a big bully.


___________________________________________________________________________
Image and Medium Information Source: Amazing Facts 
***POST NOTE- 1:53PM Well now I have to publish this FAST because a caller on Rush Limbaugh just said "I wonder if anyone would have made such a fuss if Jones called it ART."


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This is Brad Schaeffer. Pure coincidence I assure you. I submitted my piece several days ago after passing by MOMA and the lightbulb went off. In a nation of 300 million I'm sure we're not the only ones to think this. Not everyone has a voice. I assure you I need no ghost writers as the volume of my work since joining the Big sites shows.

    I honestly never heard of your site until you brought t to my attention with a veiled insinuation that I plagiarized from you. (Or did I read too much into it? If so I apologize.)

    Kudos for thinking alike. But I assure you that's as far as it went. The graphics were picked by the editors not me. ANd I never ever listen to Limbaugh so no clue what caller you're referring to either.

    Feel free to email he editors if you think your writing is up to snuff. I wish you all the best and hope to see you in the contributors section one day! Good luck!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brad! Wow - thank you for posting your comment. Nooooo-I wouldn't flatter myself that nicely- absolutely no insinuation toward plagiarizing, I promise! I was actually very excited (too excited? ha ha) that someone from Mr. Breitbart's Site had a post similar-albeit far more in-depth-than mine. I don't doubt that you hadn't heard of me, this is just a simple blog with a small following that I've been building during this insane political time in our history. I am a artist at heart but a conservative in mind, a combination that is not all that common, as I'm sure you know.

    I am a huge fan of Andrew Brietbart and The Bigs, going all the way back to the early days of Big Hollywood. And I admire so many of the writers there, including you! I would LOVE to be a contributor- that would be a dream! - and I sincerely appreciate your tip on the how-to. I had just wondered if you were that caller on Limbaugh's show - but clearly you weren't (never-ever LOL!).

    Again, thank you for the reply. And I'm sorry if I sounded passively insinuating - but be assured of absolutely no accusations on my part I hope you see me on the contributor list, too!

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think!

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...